5 reasons why we cycle the kids to school
The sun may only have made a cameo appearance so far this summer, but already it’s time to think about the start of the new school year.
There are plenty of check lists on the Internet to help prepare for the start of the new school year, but here at Cycle Sprog we’ve yet to see anything that includes thinking about how to transport the kids to school every day.
Now that cycling is in the spotlight (what an Olympics!!!!) there has never been a better time to consider cycling as a way to get to school.
Here are a few reasons we cycle our 6 year old son to school, using a tag along (with his little brother on a front seat)
1) It’s a great way to keep fit – no more guilt about not going to the gym!
2) It’s cheap – no petrol or public transport costs. Yes, you do need a bike and some basic equipment (see our article on getting started) but after that initial outlay you’ve got your transport sorted for years.
3) It’s great for the environment – obvious one this, but it helps to teach your kids that cycling is a viable method of transport
4) It’s fun – no one enjoys the school run, but cycling is one way to inject some fun into your routine. Our two love the ride. You’ll find it exhilarating getting a burst of activity each day
5) It helps your kids learn – international research has shown that children who do regular exercise perform better at school
Is this the easiest World Book Day costume? Thanks to Sir Chris Hoy your child can go to school in their cycling kit!
We weren't going to let some badgers ruin our bike ride.....
Exciting times at Cycle Sprog HQ when the 4 day LEJOGers came to stay!
Leave a Reply