7 ideas for ‘Let Our Kids Be Kids’ Children’s Strike
On Tuesday 3rd May, many primary school children will be taking part in the Children’s Strike in support of the “Let Our Kids Be Kids” campaign. I won’t go into the pro’s and con’s of this here, as it has been covered much better in many other places. This isn’t an extra day’s holiday so parents have been asked to ensure that their children are doing educational activities.
As I was thinking today what educational activities we could do with our Y2 son, it struck me that there is so much that could be done that is fun and educational just around the topic of cycling. Here are a few thoughts, and useful links for anyone struggling for ideas.
7 ideas for cycling educational activities for the Let Our Kids Be Kids Strike
- Learn to ride a bike – an essential life skill, and such fun (and apparently only takes 30 minutes – do let us know if this works)
- Learn about cycling in other countries – our recent holiday to the Netherlands really opened our boys eyes to how different cycling can be in other countries. We’ve got lots of photos of cycling in Netherlands in our recent blogs to start the conversation, but why not expand the geography lesson and Google “Cycling in …. – enter country of your choice“
- Check out our kids guide to the Tour de France – and learn some useful French words
- Teach your child how to maintain their bike – and acquire a life long skill
- Go for a bike ride to get some exercise
- Get them to write about their favourite bike ride, write a review of their bike, etc – see our Sprog Blogs for inspiration
- Practice ICT skills by asking them to type their Sprog Blog – sometimes we find the ideas come faster than they can write or type, so they dictate and we type
These are just a few ideas – I’d love to hear if you do any other fun and educational activities with your kids – do please leave a comment below, or via Facebook and Twitter
Is this the easiest World Book Day costume? Thanks to Sir Chris Hoy your child can go to school in their cycling kit!
We weren't going to let some badgers ruin our bike ride.....
Exciting times at Cycle Sprog HQ when the 4 day LEJOGers came to stay!
Leave a Reply